So the Juno 106 from here came back to the bench over the holiday. But not because it had a failure again! The band noticed that sometimes the patch edit lights would come on even if they hadn't adjusted any sliders. When it did the LFO would turn up to maximum and make the VCO all out of tune. Of course when they came to drop it off we couldn't get it to happen, so i decided to try again later. When i did so i noticed that if i picked up the front left corner of the synth the problem would suddenly appear like clockwork.
I opened it up and reseated all the cable harnesses. I also decided that the problem wasn't really an issue with the electronics but the chassis. The end cap screw mounts were all in need of some love. I had replaced the screws but if this was to be a reliable instrument i needed to modify the way the chassis fits together. I decided to drill out the original screw holes on the bottom row of the end cap mounts. This would allow me to install bigger screws that fastened with a star washer nut instead of relying on the thin steel bracket that was stripped out.
I also decided to fix the right back end cap hole as it was partially shattered. My fix doesn't look pretty but it is on the inside so no one will see it anyway. I used small cuts of tooth pick and epoxy to strengthen the cracked mounting hole and rebuild the missing chunk to support the new screw properly. I was unable to use the new screw and nut fasteners on the front right end cap hole because that nut would be under the keyboard and impossible to get back off.
Oh yeah, i almost forgot! I tracked down some shallow IEC connectors and replaced the silly 2 prong Roland one with a properly grounded 3 pronger!
::: IF :::