Synth Repair

Dude's :: got :a: drum::: machine.::

http://youtu.be/boh92DrYEWs LITERALLY:

We saw this in an ebay post and it had us ROFLing for what seemed like helicopters.  The 'appease the wife' angle is worthy of a reddit meme and then thewhole 'craigslist lowball' complaint is great too!

Quoted:

"Honestly, I really do not want to sell the unit......... I do not need the money either. But having this listed on Ebay gets the wife off my ass a bit. I have hung onto alot of my old gear. All this gear takes up a tons of space. But... I made a very good living with all this old stuff. I keep getting tons of emails about this unit. People telling me whats it worth and that it is a old junk unit. And I should take there low ball offer. After awhile it bugs me and I really do not care what you think honestly...... So please do not waste my time and yours."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u3GtqfdVts

And the video is a very poor representation of what this machine can do...

Not a good sales demo!!!!   =D

PS :  here's a nice example of what this box can do ( not ours ) :

http://youtu.be/Sswj0cGGITI

I.F.

::: May the Voice Cards Be With You :::

Oberheim DMX Voice Cards and Original Packaging! I've been meaning to do this for a while: The DMX is different than the DX ( and every other drum machine design of the period ) in that it contains individual daughter boards for each drum sound.  Much like the poly synths Oberheim was making at the time the boards were easily removed for servicing and or replacement.  The DMX voice cards came in three varieties.  One basic drum card for drum and percussion sounds and two different cymbal variants.

The two spare cards i received with my DMX came with all the original packaging and Oberheim literature from the original dealer!

One is for "Electric Snare" which is shown.  The other is  "Electric Toms" which is currently installed in the DMX so i included a picture of the "DX Tom" card it replaced...

Side note: The DMX has TWO tom 'sets' as opposed to normal machines of the period.

Side note 2: The DX Stretch from the previous posts demo featured the 'timbale/conga' sounds on the Stretch portion of the machine.  I didn't usethe 'breaking glass, record scratch, and electric snare' sounds for that demo.

WIKKD!

I.F...

::: Oberheim DX Stretch Demo :::

So, the Oberheim DX Stretch is working and i figured i'd do an update to the repair post from earlier.  The Clap button is still non functional but the part is in the mail and will be fixed soon. i figured i could put the machine through some testing to see if the upgrades and other bits are working ok. This file is based on one longer pattern.  The DX was synced to a Simmons SDS-V to add some fun layering and make sure the Memory, Sync I/O, and CPU  are working solidly.  The SDS-V is triggered by a sequence programmed into an internally mounted MFB SEQ-01 ( that's another post all together ). Also, i added one crash cymbal ( there is NONE natively in the DX )

This is not my SDS-V but has a similar mod for example:

http://youtu.be/236L7YftYp0

They were both clocked to a Roland SBX80. RADD!

Chekkit:

Full Track:

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/29240402"]

 

Simmons mix only ( for reference )

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/29239767"]

I.F...

::: Oberheim - DX Upgrade :::

Hello! Today is the day.  I finally have the parts to upgrade the DX Stretch to have MIDI, MRAM Static Ram ( no more battery ), and the newest OS and Sync functionality.

This required removing the battery, old ram chips, and Z80 chip, installing the new CPU board above the tape sync board, and reconnecting all the ribbon cables in their new destination sockets.  Lastly i drilled out the side panel to fit the MIDI I/O jacks on the right side and placed the new function decals on the face plate.

The parts were supplied by Paul at Electron Gate of course!

Here we go:

[slideshow]

SWEET!

( Pics Via J-Poo )

::: Juno 60 Slider Repair :::

I've had this J-60 for almost 20 years.  It sounds crazy i know.  I got it in a trade back when these were practically free. It was an "i'll throw in this old keyboard" type of deal. So it's always been happy except for 3 or 4 sliders that were dry and got damaged by someone forcing them to move.  It doesn't look like anything was even spilled in there!  I located some replacements but upon further inspection i found i could refurbish most of the original ones.  This required desoldering them from the main board and disassembling them by un-pinching the tabs on the metal housing to get at the innards.  i then  flattened out the bent metal runners that had been mangled over the years.  After cleaning the parts and adding some new grease i reassembled them for reinstallation.

Here's some pics of the process...

Photos courtesy of J-poo

=D

I.F.